clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match Recap: Luton Town 1-2 Leeds United

The Whites stole the three points late-on at Kenilworth Road to the dismay of a struggling Luton side.

Luton Town v Leeds United - Sky Bet Championship - Kenilworth Road
Leeds stole the win on the stroke of full-time, as Bamford strikes again for Leeds.
Photo by Chris Radburn/EMPICS/PA Images via Getty Images

Leeds United jumped to second in the Championship table after nicking the victory away at Luton Town.

Patrick Bamford opened the scoring early in the second half, before Luton’s star striker James Collins hit back just minutes later. The Whites found a late winner, with the scorer between Bamford and a Matty Pearson own goal being unclear.

Leeds started steadily, with some neat play arriving on fifteen minutes, as Pablo Hernandez and Luke Ayling worked the ball nicely on the right side, before the resulting cross only just evaded the oncoming Stuart Dallas.

Luton’s keeper James Shea had his work cut-out in this one, with Bamford forcing save after save, just past the half hour mark and Leeds hit the woodwork, Bamford latching onto Gaetano Berardi’s excellent ball through. Kalvin Phillips then had a crack from the rebound, with Shea parrying away, Jack Harrison got to the rebound and looked certain to score but another brilliant stop from Shea kept the score at 0-0.

Leeds eventually managed to beat the Luton keeper, as Ben White broke through the midfield third before finding Bamford in the left channel. Bamford drove the ball near-post, catching out the Luton stopper and giving Leeds the lead.

It wouldn’t last long though, as James Collins grabbed the equaliser just three minutes later. Former Whites loanee Izzy Brown found space on the right side, and his cross found Collins in the middle, who had a free header due to poor marking - he made no mistake in punishing Leeds with a good header.

A scare came later on, as Luton’s Harry Cornick had the ball in the net from a corner kick, but thankfully, the offside flag was raised... eventually.

Hernandez showed just how much the Whites had missed him in this one, he did brilliantly to dribble his way into the penalty area before hitting his strike high at Shea, who managed to make the save.

Luton were content with the draw if they could hold on, with plenty of orange shirts behind the ball, but Leeds made the breakthrough late-on. Mateusz Klich found space behind the defence in the channel, before cutting the ball across goal, where Bamford and his marker tangled, with the ball ending up in the far corner.

Bamford? An own goal? Who cares? Leeds managed to take maximum points from Kenilworth Road to move up to second in the table.