clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match recap: Leeds United 2-0 QPR

The Whites took a 2-0 win at Elland Road against QPR, with Jack Harrison scoring and assisting in a crucial performance.

Leeds United v Queens Park Rangers - Sky Bet Championship - Elland Road
Star of the show: Harrison set-up Roberts’ opener before finishing the game off late-on.
Photo by Dave Howarth/PA Images via Getty Images

Leeds United returned to the top of the Championship after beating QPR 2-0 at Elland Road, in a match which saw Tyler Roberts score his first of the season, while Harrison finished the Londoners off with eight minutes left.

The match started off in a rather ugly manner, with both sides giving away an abundance of fouls early on, as the game was going stop-start for the first fifteen minutes.

The first chance arrived on seven minutes, a fantastic cross from Luke Ayling found Mateusz Klich, whose run pierced between the centre-halves. However, his left-footed finish was blazed over the bar on the volley.

Leeds continued to play on the front-foot, with Ayling getting a chance of his own on 24 minutes. The Leeds number two latched onto Kalvin Phillips’ free-kick, but his header was high and wide from a decent position.

A couple of minutes later and Bamford had a huge chance. Dallas slipped him through, and as Bamford recieved the ball, the QPR keeper was charging straight for him. Bamford did well to round the keeper, but the centre-half was well placed to poke the ball back into the path of his keeper.

Tyler Roberts opened the scoring on 39 minutes, as Jack Harrison came inside from the left, taking two defenders with him. Roberts was well placed to take the ball on the edge of the box and fire the ball home with a delightful right-footed strike into the bottom left corner.

Leeds United v Queens Park Rangers - Sky Bet Championship
Roberts celebrates his first goal of the season, having recently returned from injury.
Photo by Alex Dodd - CameraSport via Getty Images

Roberts almost set-up the second five minutes into the second half, his low ball toward the back-post was just inches ahead of a sliding Patrick Bamford.

Bamford came so close again to scoring, heading the ball home with a diving header before being ruled as offside.

Harrison doubled the lead, as his pass was prodded toward goal by Pugh. Harrison latched onto the ball, and put away an excellent finish into the far right corner to seal the three points.