clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match Recap: Leeds convert a penalty and beat Queens Park Rangers 2-1 at Elland Road

Leeds got a penalty in their favour after going a year without one

Leeds United v Queens Park Rangers - Sky Bet Championship Photo by Matthew Lewis/Getty Images

Kemar Roofe converted a penalty and scored both of the Leeds United goals as Leeds won their fourth game in a row in the Championship. Rlla Road was rocking from the beginning, and while Queens Park Rangers went ahead in the first half, Leeds didn’t look back after getting a goal in first-half stoppage time.

Leeds came flying out of the blocks and could have had a significant lead with in the first few minutes of the match. Roofe was inches away from scoring a hat trick within the first 10 minutes as Leeds looked to immediately put QPR on the back foot. The defending from the visitors left a lot to be desired as Leeds came close on a number of occasions.

QPR finally caught their breath after the Leeds assault on their goal, as they looked to get back into the match. The club from West London resorted to punting the ball over the top and hoping that Nakhi Wells would get a foot to it to relieve the pressure.

Kalvin Phillips showed his inexperience at central defence by allowing Wells to get to a long ball over the top. Jansson came over and tried to deal with the chance, but he missed his header which allowed Wells to make a break towards the goal. Wells made no mistake and he slotted the ball past Peacock-Farrell, who was left with no chance.

The QPR goal seemed to take the sting out of Leeds, as the players seemed to be flat and looked frustrated to be behind after the fantastic start that Leeds had gotten.

Just before half-time, however, Leeds would pull one back. Pablo Hernandez made a decent shot at goal, and after it took a deflection, Roofe was there to bundle the ball home to draw the sides level. Not the prettiest of goals, and not the easiest of chances, but Roofe did enough to put the ball over the line.

The second half saw Leeds turn up the pressure once again, as they went to try an grab a winner. Leeds put some good pressure on the goal, and they were finally rewarded in the 51st minute as QPR were penalized for a handball in the box.

And yes, if you’re keeping track at home, that meant that after 59 games, Leeds FINALLY got awarded a penalty. Roofe did well to convert the spot kick and deservedly put Leeds in front.

Leeds tried their best to add to the total, but otherwise didn’t manage a lot of good shots on net, even if the chances continued to come. Aapo Halme was brought on for Samu Saiz when QPR brought on Matt Smith, and Jack Clarke came on for Hernandez as well in the second half, as Hernandez looked as if he was starting to slow down after a frenetic start to the match.

There were a few nervy moments at the end of the match, but Leeds did enough to beat QPR at home 2-1, but would not go top as Norwich City grabbed a late winner at Bolton Wanderers.