clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match Recap: Leeds United and Nottingham Forest share the spoils in controversial draw

Kemar Roofe’s equalizer appeared to have gone off his arm, but the goal stood and the match ended 1-1

Leeds United v Nottingham Forest - Sky Bet Championship Photo by George Wood/Getty Images

Leeds United hosted Nottingham Forest, with both teams in good form and looking to extend unbeaten streaks. Forest had gone on a good run after starting out poorly, while Marcelo Bielsa’s side has been drawing instead of winning games after rattling off a number of good wins to start the season.

Nottingham Forest opened the scoring the 11th minute, scoring a headed goal from a corner kick after Stuart Dallas failed to deal with his man in the six-yard box and Forest’s Jack Robinson directed his effort into the back of the net past the outstretched hands of Bailey Peacock-Farrell, who could do very little about it.

Leeds came close in the 16th minute after Pablo Hernandez had a shot deflected, but Leeds were unable to get anything from the corner kick. Leeds looked intent on trying to get back into the match, but were unable to get any really good attempts on goal.

Luke Ayling went down injured after a bad challenge from Forest’s Robinson, and despite attempting to carry on, Ayling was forced off in the 25th minute, with Tom Pearce coming on and Dallas switching over to right back. Leeds again tried to get something going, but the difference between Ayling and Dallas was often jarring and Leeds looked to be missing something.

Hernandez played in Alioski at the far post, but he couldn’t covert the chance, which to be fair was fairly difficult to get to, and Adam Forshaw had a good attempt in the 41st minute, but Leeds were kept off of the board.

So at the half, Forest lead at Elland Road 1-0 over Leeds, with Forest difficult to break down defensively, especially after they scored the opening goal. Leeds appeared to be missing an extra gear and the ability to find spaces. Hernandez looked the best of the bunch for Leeds, but otherwise the team looked like it struggled to get going against the overly physical play of Forest.

Adam Fox had to come off for Forest after picking up a knock early in the second half. He was replaced by Michael Dawson, and there was still more frustrating play in the first 15 minutes of the half, while the Leeds crowd were in fantastic form, cheering on the team in full voice.

Jack Clarke and Samu Saiz came onto the pitch for Tom Pearce and Kalvin Phillips. Phillips once again was taken off after getting a yellow card, and Pearce, who had been subbed on for the injured Ayling, was also taken off and replaced at left-back by Alioski.

Leeds ramped up the pressure in the second half, with the ball very rarely crossing into the Leeds half, but the chances were still going wasted and the fans and the players started to get frustrated.

Leeds scored a controversial goal in the 84th minute. The ball appeared to go off of either Roofe’s knee or arm, and the Forest players were incensed that the goal was scored on a hand-ball, but after conferring with the assistant referee, the goal stood and Leeds were level.

Hernandez had a shot on goal that went inches wide of the post in extra time, but in the end a winner wouldn’t be found. Leeds end up on second after the draw, while Forest go to seventh. With all of the pressure by Leeds and the chances generated, it perhaps should have been a win, but a draw still keeps Leeds in the top two.