clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match Report: Garforth Town 3 - Staveley Miners Welfare 2

Ten man Garforth Town outlasts nine man Staveley Miners Welfare FC

Brazuca football. The official Adidas match ball for the FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014 Photo by Tim Clayton/Corbis via Getty Images

Garforth were coming into this game having not played the previous week due to inclement weather. Today’s visitors Staveley Miners Welfare had beaten The Miners away 3-1 back in August so Garforth were keen to exact revenge. The game started with positive play from the away side and they kept keeper Pete Lawrie busy in the first few minutes of the game. Then Calum Ward was fouled and a free-kick was awarded but Mitch Hamilton’s cross to Jack Lazenby failed to see any end result.

Then the game turned on its head when Staveley saw a player sent off for fouling Mark Simpson in the penalty area. Lee Turner duly stepped up and scored the first goal of the game for Garforth. Not long after, the referee showed yet another red card to Staveley after one of their player clashed with Ward and this left them with 9 men on the field. This could only mean one thing for Garforth and that was another goal was going to come. That it did with Simpson extending the lead to 2-0 with a sublime finish.

The third goal should have come soon afterwards but Luke Kitson couldn’t find the back of the net with his effort. Half-time came and Garforth went into the break with a healthy 2-0 lead.

The second half soon came around and Garforth started it with some good possession of the ball. They nearly made it count when Mitch Hamilton came close to scoring the third goal but somehow the ball just didn’t go in! Staveley weren’t giving up however and they came close to scoring but their effort went just wide. Hamilton however wasn’t to be denied a few minutes later when he made it 3-0 to Garforth and the home side were full of confidence. But the clean sheet for Lawrie wasn’t going to be happening when Staveley found the back of the net and it was 3-1.

Garforth pushed on for more goals and the crossbar denied Aiden Kearsley before Staveley themselves were denied by the post. Substitutes Ross Shelton and Matthew Savage came on for Luke Kitson and Calum Ward respectively. Staveley still refused to give up and piled on the pressure.

Goal-scorer Simpson came off for Sean Hunter and then not long afterwards, Kearsley had to come off with an injury so Garforth were down to 10 men. Then an incident occured when a Garforth injury went unnoticed by the referee and the Staveley coaching staff went berserk at him! But the anger soon turned to celebrations when they got their second goal. Alas it wasn’t to be for the away team as they fell to defeat.

Another great win in the bag for The Miners and they will be looking to continue this great form in their next game!

Editors Note: Many thanks to Maz Brown (@LeedsUNITEDMaz) for the match report one of Leeds United’s non-league neighbours Garforth Town. We like to feature local non-league clubs from time to time to help support local people who do it for the love of the game, not glory or riches. Go support local football when you have a chance!