(editor’s note: Leeds United secured three points at St. Andrew’s with a strong final 30 minutes... Joshua Gilbert has our quick recap, and we’ll have more coverage here at the blog throughout the weekend before the buildup to Tuesday’s match against Fulham. MOT.)
Since Leeds United won their last match against Sheffield, I am looking forward to using this game to continue building back towards the Premier League. I think Leeds can gain all three points out of this match, but to do so our defense needs to be focused. With the game being an away game, we need to be ready for the tons of shots Birmingham City are known to put up when they are at home. A great lineup makes me confident, C’mon Leeds!
- Pablo Hernandez kicks the ball off and we are underway at St. Andrews!
- Still in the first minute and Stuart Dallas already has a shot on target from long range, but Tomasz Kuszczak forces an early save.
- 7 minutes in and we are looking at a lively game, Birmingham’s Craig Gardner fires a shot on goal, which is met by the head of Kyle Bartley. Then, David Davis fires the ball into the side netting for a goal kick.
- Here we are in the ninth minute and Pontus Jansson gives Birmingham City a corner after heading away the ball over our own crossbar. Not great so far from him. The following corner is taken short and goes out for a Leeds goal kick. Still 0-0.
GOALLLLLL!!!!!! Chris Wood nets in the opening goal so early on in this game! Luke Ayling played a great ball forward which led to Chris Wood lobbing the ball over Tomasz Kuszczak!!! 14 minutes in, 1-0 LEEDS!
- 28 minutes in now and Birmingham City receive a free-kick on the left side of the field in a good position.
- Craig Gardner tries to fire the free-kick on goal and sees his shot go just over. 1-0.
- Here in the 41st minute, Stuart Dallas plays a decent ball to Chris Wood, who fires over the bar from a narrow angle. 1-0.
- Birmingham City win a corner in the 42nd minute.
- Crossbar!! 43 minutes in and Robert Tesche fires a half-volley from 30 yards out which ends up rattling Rob Green’s crossbar. Still Leeds are in front 1-0.
The ref blows his whistle and Leeds are in front going into half-time thanks to the Championship’s leading goalscorer Chris Wood! The game is a little nerve-racking because of the amount of chances Birmingham City has had, they’ve definitely been the better side. Hopefully we score more goals in the 2nd half.
- 48th minute and here early in the 2nd half, Craig Gardner fires a shot that goes wide.
- 51’ CLEARANCE! Che Adams has his header blocked on the line by Kyle Bartley, before firing over a shot just moments later!
- 59’ SUBSTITUTION Eunan O’Kane’s night is finished as he is replaced by Kalvin Phillips.
63’ Goal Birmingham. Craig Gardner’s shot is deflected and finds the bottom left corner of the goal from 25 yards out. This goal levels the game up as it is now tied 1-1.
GOALLLLLL!!!!!! Four minutes later, Chris Wood is on fire as he doubles his goal tally on the night and gives Leeds United the 21 lead!! Doukara played a great ball to Kalvin Phillips, who plays the ball across goal and Wood finishes!!
- 73’ SUBSTITUTION Garry Monk uses his second substitution of the night. Stuart Dallas is coming off for Alfonso Pedraza.
- PENALTY APPEAL 76 minutes in and Adams goes down in the penalty area, claiming he was pushed. The referee instead, waives off the appeal and gives a free-kick to Leeds.
- 78’ A yellow card is issued to Davis for a late challenge on Pedraza. Still 2-1 Leeds United.
GOALLLLLL!!!!!! 81 minutes in and Alfonso Pedraza scores his first goal for Leeds! Pablo Hernandez finds Pedraza who slots the ball into the bottom-right of the goal! That goal surely is the dagger and secures all three points for Leeds!
- 81’ SUBSTITUTION Monk makes his final sub as Pablo Hernandez is subbed off for Kemar Roofe. The score is still 3-1 Leeds.
- 90’ There will be a minimum of four minutes of added time.
- 90’ A mistake here in added time sees Chris Wood on goal, but his hat-trick attempt is denied!
THE FINAL WHISTLE HAS BLOWN AS LEEDS TAKE ALL 3 POINTS IN A 3-1 VICTORY!
Leeds no doubt looked the better team in the final 30 minutes, as it showed by the goals, team spirit, and an excellent showing of self-control. Even though Birmingham City had more shots and more possession, Garry Monk will take quality over quantity any day. This is a huge game for Leeds, as it keeps us climbing towards the ultimate prize of promotion.
There’s only a short time to celebrate the hard fought win, we’ll turn our focus towards our next game, away to Fulham. That will be no easy game. With another win in the books... MOT.