clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Leeds United at Barnsley quick recap: Ten minutes in the middle cost the Whites at Oakwell

A terrible stretch in the middle of the match left Leeds trying to comeback, but they couldn’t score a third as Barnsley won 3-2 on Saturday evening.

Barnsley v Blackpool - The Emirates FA Cup Third Round Replay
Youngster Ryan Kent scored a beauty, and Barnsley topped Leeds at Oakwell.
Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images

In a hard fought battle, Leeds United fell just short in Saturday night’s Yorkshire Derby at Barnsley, 3-2.

Both clubs played well, but it was Barnsley that had a strong start. The Tykes put pressure on early, but the Leeds defense held firm. Leeds had not done much early on when it came to attacking, but in the 18th minute, a scene we've become used to played out again as Chris Wood opened the scoring off a corner.

The same scene almost played out again a few minutes later, but Wood's header was cleared off the line. Leeds played better throughout the first half, but Barnsley were played well at the beginning and end, and right before the half they were rewarded.

Tom Bradshaw headed in Adam Armstrong's cross off a set piece where our defense was caught sleeping. 1-1 was a very fair scoreline with how things played out in the first 45.

The second half kicked off, and Barnsley were quick to ride the momentum they got off Bradshaw's header. Liverpool loanee Ryan Kent scored a beautiful goal just two minutes into the second half and no matter which club you support, you had to admire Kent's finish.

Unfortunately, Barnsley were not done scoring. Not too long after, Barnsley had a free kick outside the box and Conor Hourihane tucked the shot in to the top corner where no one could save it.

Things looked bleak at 3-1, but our boys were not going down without a fight. In the 68th minute, Kyle Bartley sent Chris Wood through on a real Gerrard-esque ball, and Wood's first touch sent the ball into the Barnsley defenders arm for a handball. Referee Mike Dean called for a penalty, which among further review clearly showed the handball being two yards outside the box.

We'll take it though, as Chris Wood converted the penalty to bring United back 3-2.

As the game came to a close, Leeds had some last ditch efforts left in them. The closest went to Kemar Roofe, who was all alone right in front of goal, but overran the cross and the ball hit off his chest and bounced out.

It was a hard fought loss, but we went down swinging. Next up on the schedule is Nottingham Forest, who may still be trying to cope with life without Henri Lansbury. Here’s hoping we can restart our winning ways on Wednesday at Elland Road. MOT