Pre-match Thoughts: Chris Wood is back in the squad after missing the last game due to an injury, and I hope he makes an impact as his presence is always needed to boost team morale. A win here is crucial if we want to keep up with the teams ahead of us, and getting the three points here will definitely keep our streak going. A win here could move us up to 3rd in the EFL Championship table depending on other results, let us see what Monk’s men can do!
- Early on in the game, Preston North End earn a free kick and whip the ball into the box. Swedish behemoth Pontus Jansson heads it away.
- After an even start, the 15th minute sees the first shot of the game, and even though Doukara scuffs it wide, it shows that we are going to attack, attack, and attack.
- Following the shot, Kemar Roofe is fouled on the right wing, earning Leeds a free kick in a dangerous area. Stuart Dallas will be looking to send this in...
GOALLLLLL!!!! The Dallas free-kick is met by Jansson’s head, the ball was likely going in but Kemar Roofe makes sure it finds the back of the net as he finishes it!! GET IN!! 0-1!
- The next few minutes have been all Preston as veteran Rob Green has to make a few quick saves. We are now heading into the 23rd minute of open play.
GOALLLLLL!!!! 24 minutes in and Hadi Sacko puts the visitors up by two! He plays a little one-two with Kemar Roofe and slots it home inside the penalty area!
- Goal Preston. Barely three minutes later, Makienok heads the ball down for Marnick Vermijl who fires it past Rob Green. Now Preston are right back in it. These have been a crazy past few minutes and we could have a goal-fest on our hands.
- 29 minutes in here and Preston now have a free kick in a good crossing position. Surely they will be looking to tie the game up.
- The free kick goes over everyone and ends up going out of bounds.
GOALLLLLL!!!! Christmas has come late for the Whites as Souleymane Doukara put Leeds up 3-1 with a terrific solo goal! He went down the wing and entered the penalty area, taking on all newcomers and the ball barely goes over the line!!
- Nearing the end of the first half now as Kalvin Phillips is booked for kicking the ball away. 43 minutes in.
HALF-TIME. Leeds are playing like Brazil after goals by Roofe, Sacko, and Doukara.
HALF-TIME Thoughts: Leeds are playing like a future Premier League team, without a doubt. Unselfish, fluent, and imposing their will on the opposition. This game could end up being 6 or 7-1. Leeds just need to make sure they keep this up in the second half. If Preston score an early goal they could be right back in it, especially at home.
- The second half starts and just five short minutes after, Kyle Bartley receives a yellow for a rough sliding challenge.
- Hadi Sacko, the second goal scorer, is replaced by Pablo Hernandez! Welcome back, Pablo.
- 53 minutes in here and Rob Green has to make a crucial save to keep Preston out of the game. Makienok heads the ball down again and gives it to Alan Browne. Browne ends up striking the ball twice and has both shots saved by Rob!
- 66th minute here and Preston make their first two substitutions of the day as Makienok and Robinson are replaced by Hugill and Beckford.
- Play get stopped here in the 69th minute as we have a collision of heads or something.
- RED CARD! Newcomer to the game and former Leeds striker Jordan Beckford gets a straight red for kicking out at Kyle Bartley. He is given his orders to go off the pitch and we continue play here in the 71st minute.
- 81st minute: Subs for both teams are being made. Chris Wood comes on for Doukara and Preston make their final change as Johnson is replaced by Eoin Doyle.
- Leeds make their last sub of the day here in the 85th minute as Kemar Roofe goes off for Marcus Antonsson. All three Leeds goalscorers are officially out of the game.
- Alex Baptiste is shown a yellow card here in the 86th minute for the hosts.
GOALLLLLL!!!! Spanish maestro Pablo Hernandez marks his return with a goal! How fitting!!! It is now Leeds 4, Preston 1 here at Deepdale!
- Five minutes of added time will be given as Leeds win a few corners. The corners get headed away as the final whistle blows!
Final Whistle Thoughts: A perfect way to celebrate Boxing Day with three points! Leeds were phenomenal, dominating on all sides of the ball and showing Preston why we deserve to go up after this season. Goals from Roofe, Sacko, Doukara, and Hernandez prove to be the difference as we continue to march on together on our way to the Premier League! Currently with this win, we have landed at 5th in the Championship. We are two points off the 3rd placed team Reading, and one point above Sheffield Wednesday before their game later this evening. Beautiful game, more from our TIAT staff in the morning. Enjoy this one! MOT!