clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Crystal Palace 2 - 2 Leeds United: Morison and Murray Grab Two in Entertaining Draw

Leeds striker Steve Morison found his shooting boots at Selhurst Park as United came close to causing an upset in the Championship.

Clive Rose

It was always going to be a tough game but Leeds left Selhurst Park wondering what if once more this week. United in two back-to-back games were in the lead but two late goals have seen us four points worse off.

The visit to Palace was never going to be easy, Ian Holloway hasn't seen his side lose at home since he took charge and Palace are flying high. Coming into it, we were confident. After the back of a battling performance at Leicester there was a chance we could get something out of the game.

For the first time since the 90's Leeds stuck with the same team for the fifth game in a row. The opening exchanges were fairly quiet and both sides struggled to create a clear-cut chance to get the crowd going. The first chance of the game fell to Palace and it was Glenn Murray who went close. Zaha managed to ride the tackle of Warnock and his inch-perfect cross was met by Murray but his header was well saved by Kenny.

After 20 minutes, United began to lose the midfield battle and it was showing. The Eagles were getting in and around the box and Leeds couldn't seem to get a foothold in the game. Palace took full advantage in the 27th minute when Glenn Murry got on the end of a sweeping cross to head the ball past a motionless Kenny.

The goal got the Palace fans on their feet and the players responded, this time Jonathan Parr testing Kenny with a wicked left-footed effort.

Leeds potted around for the remainder of the half with half-chances coming few and far between. With three minutes remaining in the opening 45 minutes, Leeds went close but Luke Varney's poked effort was blocked by three rushing Palace defenders.

In the second-half, Ross McCormack went close with a free-kick and it was a positive start to the half. Luke Varney managed to embarrass himself when he took a tumble in the box and showed his potential to be on the next season of Tom Daley's splash.

He soon made up for it though when his teasing run and pass on the left-flank found Steve Morison who took one touch with his right-foot before placing the ball in bottom corner with his left. The goal stunned the home crowd and it was a goal that gave Leeds some confidence.

The Whites then doubled their lead and it was Morison again who fired it home. Kenny's long ball found Morison who remained calm under pressure to hit the ball on the half-volley.

With Palace pressing, Leeds had one final chance when Tonge managed to intercept the ball in the centre-circle and the ball fell to Ross McCormack who dragged it wide with his confidence low as can be at the moment.

It was nail-biting viewing and those in attendance and all those watching or listening felt the same feeling. Could we hang on?

After plenty of half-chances and corners Palace eventually did find an equaliser and Murray grabbed his second when he hit the ball on the volley after some poor defensive work by Green and Warnock.

Warnock made some late subs with Ryan Hall appearing from the wilderness, Habibou and Austin also making brief appearances.

The referee caused more problems when he blew up after Palace had a corner, a decision which incensed Ian Holloway. To some it will feel like two points dropped again, but United have gone to Leicester and Palace and shown their worth.

There's plenty of football still to play this season, today's results show the division is going to go to the wire.

For once lets be positive, after all it looked doomed five weeks ago. Until its mathematically impossible we have to believe.

On and on!