clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Clayton to the rescue - West Ham United 2-2 Leeds United - Match Report

United traveled to the Boleyn Ground more commonly referred to as Upton Park to face Championship favourites West Ham in good spirits after thumping Hull during the week.

There were two changes to the side as Leeds boss Simon Grayson named returning duo Jonny Howson and Max Gradel in his starting line up in the places of Michael Brown and Ramon Nunez.

West Ham lost out in their first home game of the season to Cardiff but it wasn't long before they were leading in this one. England international Carlton Cole hammering (no pun intended) home a corner inside the first 10 minutes to give West Ham the advantage. This forced Leeds into action and they carved out a number of opportunities including one which resulted in Robert Snodgrass clipping the bar. United deserved an equaliser and they were handed the perfect opportunity to grab one when Matt Taylor handled in the box and it was a penalty. Gradel couldn't repeat his goalscoring antics from the Southampton game when he scored from the spot. In fact, he couldn't even hit the target. Leeds continued to press but the score at the break was 1-0 to the London side.

The second half started with much of the same, with United applying plenty of pressure and although West Ham did create the odd chance, Leeds looked the more likely to grab the next goal. That is how it turned out following some good work from Scotland international Robert Snodgrass and loan man Andrew Keogh. It was Snodgrass' low cross which was fired past Robert Green in the West Ham goal by in form front man Ross McCormack.

Parity had been restored for barely two minutes when for the second game in a row, Leeds were scoring for the opposition. This time it was Patrick Kisnorbo who thumped Julian Faubert's cross home, leaving Andy Lonergan with no chance to stop it. Leeds were back to square one and all their hard work had been undone. West Ham had chances to make the points safe, a good move resulted in Scott Parker seeing his effort come back out of the post.

With time ticking on, it looked like West Ham were going to win their third game in a row but Leeds did not give up and were still creating chances. Adam Clayton epitomised the never say die attitude of the team and it was his goal in injury time that sent the Leeds fans back to West Yorkshire with a smile on their face. It was no less than his efforts during the start to the season have deserved and it came about because he was the quickest to react following Jonny Howson's effort which bounced back off the bar.

On another day Leeds could have won, but a draw is a fantastic result and 4 points from the last two games is certainly something to build on. Attentions now turn back to the League Cup as Leeds travel to Doncaster on Tuesday night.

West Ham: Green, O'Brien, Reid, Tomkins, Illunga, Collison (Faubert 59), Parker, Noble (Piquionne 82), Nolan, Taylor, Cole (Carew 67). Subs: Boffin, Barrera.

United: Lonergan, Lees, Kisnorbo, O'Dea, White, Snodgrass, Howson, Clayton, Gradel (Sam 88) McCormack (Nunez 67), Keogh. Subs: Rachubka, Connolly, O'Brien, Sam.

Follow Leedstheoffside / Ciaran on Twitter and on Facebook!