clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

QPR 1 - 2 Leeds United: Leeds spoil promotion party by completing the double over champions QPR

The FA announced prior to kick-off that QPR were going to be punished, with a fine and no point deduction. Call it what you want, unfair, justice, a shambles but there was a game to be played and Leeds needed a mathematical miracle to move into the play-offs.

Leeds United had to win, Crystal Palace had to beat Forest and somehow there had to be a six goal swing in the favour of Leeds United. Simon Grayson had to make one change to the team that beat Burnley last Saturday, the recently abused George McCartney was missing through injury and replaced with right-back Paul Connolly.

A good start was essential for Leeds United, but QPR were celebrating once again after just 30 seconds of play. Kasper Schmeichel could only parry Tommy Smith's shot and Heidar Helguson was at the far post to tap home. Moments later QPR tested the Leeds goal again, Faurlin's long range swerving effort was palmed away by Schmeichel. The Whites were struggling to keep the ball, and matters got worse for Grayson's men, when it was announced that Nottingham Forest were winning 1-0.

Billy Paynter was the first Leeds player to get into a goal scoring opportunity, but the former Swindon man looked to be brought down by Matt Connolly just outside the box. Referee Mark Clattenburg waved away the protests, but if there was no contact then a yellow card should have been awarded to Paynter for diving.

The longer the half went on the more Leeds came into the game, and Leeds were rewarded for their persistence with a goal after 38 minutes. Richard Naylor's long ball evaded the QPR defenders, and Max Gradel sneaked in behind to lob the stranded Cerny. After the interval, United started well, continuing the good form they had shown in the opening half. It was QPR who had the first chance of the second half, Paynter failed to clear from a corner, and Schmeichel had to be alert to tip the ball over the bar.

Leeds were dominating possession and took the lead in the 68th minute, McCormack twisted his way through the QPR defence and his shot took a huge deflection over the head of Cerny. Davide Somma was introduced to the action with just over 20 minutes to go, replacing Billy Paynter. The South African showed his intent early on, with two long distance shots that went wide. As the game fizzled out, there was a moment of relief for all Leeds fans when Simon Grayson handed Patrick Kisnorbo his first appearance in a Leeds shirt for 14 months.

Sanchez Watt was also introduced to replace Gradel, the on loan midfielder was making his last appearance before returning to parent club Arsenal. The fan favourite could have made it 3-1 to the away side, but he could only drag his shot wide of the post. After the full-time whistle the attention was all on QPR, but Leeds have done fantastic to beat the champions both home and away. Leeds' season could have been so different, if it wasn't for the results against the likes of Preston, Barnsley and Portsmouth.

Simon Grayson now has to build a squad ready to challenge for the Championship, with many players likely to depart from Elland Road, new owner Ken Bates has to dig deep into his pockets to give Grayson the support he needs, to take Leeds back to where they belong in the promised land.

Follow Leedstheoffside on Twitter and on Facebook