clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Leeds drops second straight losing to Hereford

Leeds losing ways continued with a dreary 2-0 loss to Hereford United. With its second straight loss, the clubs promotion efforts continue to tumble as they sit in eighth place, a full four points behind Millwall who additionally have played two less games.

While Simon Grayson has made a number of solid changes to the starting eleven, including bringing in Jonny Howson and Robert Snodgrass in, what still remains is a slow attack that is both fearful going forward and lacking the vision to attack with ruthless tenacity. Like a thoroughbred pulling a plough, the tactical plan is all wrong. With one victory in the last four matches it should be abundantly clear that as Simon Grayson adjusted the tactical plan to his styling, what has resulted is a mid to lower table third division side. Leeds is a potentially high scoring side that should littering the oppositions nets but their meager fearful approach has left them off the score-sheet in three of the last four matches.

As stated, the tactical plan when opposing Leeds is an open book now and while they will control the ball, they'll do so without harm given the tempo is so slow rarely are advantageous situations exposed. From the opening whistle Leeds controlled much of the possession but it was well outside of the box and there were few if any notable early attempts that would challenge a side beyond those when you have oranges at the half. Fortune appeared to be on Leeds side when eight minutes before the half the spot was pointed to after Andy Robinson was brought down in the area. However in a twist of fate it was merely to show off the skills of Hereford's young ‘keeper Péter Gulácsi who is on-loan from Liverpool as he turned aside Lee Trundle's very soft effort. While credit is due for the young 'keeper, the penalty effort lacked any power and if you're going to try to strike the ball delicately into the net, you cannot give away which direction you're going. However spurred on by the stop, young gun Jennison Myrie-Williams launched a lightning quick attack down the flank before sending the ball in from fifteen metres to give Hereford the one goal lead six minutes before the break. Hereford continued to play sound defending and looking to add a spark to the attack Simon Grayson introduced Mike Grella and Bradley Johnson for Lee Trundle and Robert Snodgrass respectively. However a few minutes later Hereford doubled the margin when Godwin Antwi nodded on a corner and Fabian Brandy, on-loan from Manchester United, sent it to the back of the net. Unfortunately with ten minutes remaining Luciano Becchio was shown a yellow and will now miss this weekends match and with nary a significant offensive break through the determined Hereford defenders, the match concluded with Leeds losing 2-0.

For readers please stop by and Jeff's blog on Millwall.